Sunday, May 4, 2014

Care: Storing Wool for the Summer

Wool care should start early || Image Copyright State Library of Victoria


Note: I use the term wool to include cashmere, though that's technically incorrect. Cashmere comes from goats, while wool comes from sheepies (their scientific name.) 

Also: Although I prefer not to use animal products, I don't mind buying  wool items if they're made from the wool of  humanely treated sheep, or if the garment is secondhand. 

While I love wearing my wool sweaters, cardigans and coats during the winter, I have to admit, I'm not too upset it's now time for them to be put away. I am over cold weather  - that is, until the next four months pass and I'll welcome it in place of our lovely 90+ degrees Fahrenheit days! Funny how that happens.

Anyway, I'm actually very happy with the wool pieces I was able to add to my wardrobe this winter, so I've put a little more effort than usual into learning how to store them correctly. I thought I'd compile the information I found here as a reference for next summer when they'll hopefully still be around for me to store again!

Storage
  1. Always clean your wool garments prior to storing them. Brush with a lint brush or clothing brush to remove any debris, then dryclean or hand-wash as the care tag recommends. Moths and their larvae are attracted the insect delicacies of body oil, hair and skin particles deposited on an item when it's worn, so clean those sweaters up and make them the low-sodium, reduced fat rice cakes of the sartorial world! 
  2. Place items in an airtight bag or plastic bin. This will make it harder for those hungry moths, or any other unwanted critters, to get to them. 
  3.  To kill any moth eggs that may already be in your garment, place the airtight container in the freezer for 24 hours.
  4.  Remove your container from the freezer and, if you'd like, add further moth deterrents such as mothballs (with caution), or their "natural" alternatives like cedar chips or lavender sachets
  5. Store in your preferred place, and enjoy wearing your lovely wool garments next winter.

Cleaning

Washing wool seems a bit intimidating at first, but it's not very difficult as long as you know how to do it. Just remember, heat (either from hot water or the dryer) and agitation (through the spin cycle of the washing machine, or wringing or rubbing when hand-washing) are to be avoided, as they are what causes the shrinkage and damage most people associate with cleaning wool.

  1. Fill a bucket or sink with cold water and allow the woolen item to soak for a couple hours to prevent shrinkage. 
  2. Remove and let the garment soak for about ten minutes in another bucket or sink full of cold water mixed with a little gentle shampoo or wool detergent. 
  3. Rinse, but do not wring out excess water, as this may damage the garment's shape. Roll gently into a towel to soak up the extra moisture.
  4. Lay the item out flat on a drying rack in the shape it's worn. Let it rest until it's completely dry - this could take anywhere from a couple hours for a lightweight item, like a scarf, to over a day for something heavier, like a coat.

More Information:

4. Real Simple: How to Clean and Care for a Wool Sweater

Please let me know if you have any further suggestions or corrections on this topic. I admit this is my first time learning much of this. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment