Saturday, March 15, 2014

Current Routine Evaluation: Skincare

Regime, personal photo


That title sounds so serious! Actually, a lot of the way I've put things so far have been almost ridiculously serious for what are ostensibly superficial topics. Of course my opinion on my beauty products or fashion style is not a serious topic - at least, not to anyone but myself.  But then, it's not really the enjoyment of either my clothes or makeup I'm concerned with. It's not exactly a secret that those things can be enjoyed without much thought put into them. Certainly for me, it's hard to imagine a more tempting impulse purchase a pretty piece of clothing or nicely packaged makeup. (Okay, or tasty looking food.) What I want to address is how my purchasing power is affecting the other entities involved with these products. And, as I wrote out this list, I realized that although I imagine myself as a fairly conscientious consumer, there are a number of things I would have liked to know about these products before I bought them that I wasn't thinking to check for.

Now, before going any further, I will go ahead and admit defeat. I want to only buy things that are 100% beneficial to everyone involved, but that's never going to be possible. I don't have the time, money, or, frankly, control over the world for that.  What I can never fail at is making the effort to improve my spending habits. As long as I am making the effort, I think that's actually quite a lot. Informing oneself about these kinds of products is incredibly difficult for a myriad of reasons. If someone is even attempting to do so, then at the least they've impressed me.

So, here's what I have now:





Cleanser: Handmade olive & coconut oil soap
Price: >$1 per bar
Criteria:
Ethical - Mostly. I make it myself, but am unsure of some sources of ingredients.
Eco-Friendly - Ditto to ethical.
Fiscally Responsible -Very.
Conclusion: I will continue to use this...forever? I mean, clearly the producer is awesome. 



Exfoliator: Baking Soda
Price: >$1 per box
Criteria:
Ethical - Unsure
Eco-Friendly - Yes
Fiscally Responsible - Extremely, haha.
Conclusion: It's super cheap and effective, so of course I'm going to continue to use it. 



Moisturizer: Jojoba  Oil
Price: ~$13 for
Criteria:
Ethical - Uncertain
Eco-Friendly - I think yes, but uncertain about this particular brand
Fiscally Responsible - Yes
Conclusion - After literally years of experimentation, my experience with jojoba oil as a moisturizer has been one of the best for its price, so I'm sticking with it. I will be looking for a another brand that better fits my ethical and eco-friendly criteria, though I expect it to be more expensive. I think that's a fair trade. (And possibly the worst pun ever, oh wow.)


Sunscreen: Kiss My Face Oat Protein Complex SPF 30
Price: ~$22 for 4 fl oz
Criteria: 
Ethical - Unsure 
Eco-Friendly - Unsure. I bought it because it was a "natural" brand at Whole Foods, but that doesn't mean anything.
Fiscally Responsible - Yes. Though it's expensive, I use a good amount of it daily, and it still lasts quite a while. 
Conclusion: It's nice, but I bought this thinking it was a mineral sunscreen, and just now looking at the ingredients I realize it isn't. Haha...Oops?  I guess I'll be replacing it with a mineral sunscreen in the future.

N/A
Acne: Acne.org Treatment (2.5% benzoyl peroxide) (not pictured)
Price: $21.50 (w/shipping) for 8 oz.
Criteria:
Ethical - Unsure.
Eco-Friendly - Sort of. The company claims to do some admirable things to reduce it's environmental impact. However, because I don't know where or how the ingredients are sourced I can't tell how environmentally friendly they are.
Fiscally responsible - Yes
Conclusion: I've been waiting, like, 17 years to "grow out" of my acne, so I think it's about time I realize that ain't happenin'. Regular application of benzoyl peroxide is the only thing that's kept it under control, so while I don't exactly love using it, I'm way too vain to stop. And, because Acne.org is the only place that seems really invested in providing that treatment to its consumers in the best/cheapest way, I'm buying their products for now.


Mask: Green Clay
Price: $13.49 (w/shipping)
Criteria: 
Ethical - As far as I can determine
Eco-Friendly - Yes
Fiscally Responsible - Very. The initial cost is larger since I buy it in bulk, but I only use a small amount of it once a week, at most, so it lasts forever.
Conclusion: I lo(oOOooOOo)ve green clay masks, so I may very well use them for the rest of my life. I seriously doubt it is, but if this particular brand turns out to be unethical I will choose another in the future. Frankly, I bought it because it was the cheapest.

Notes:
For makeup and skincare, I determine eco-friendly as made without, or with very few, ingredients detrimental to the environment, either when disposed of or sourced, as well as recyclable and/or non-wasteful packaging.

As for ethical, I want something not tested on animals, and better yet, its ingredient suppliers not to test their products on animals, either. Ingredients should also be from fair-trade sources.

A fiscally responsible product in this category is harder for me to define. I guess I think of it as getting the most effective product that fits my criteria for the least amount of money. Though, for the majority of these products, being very inexpensive is not really a priority.

Of course, my final conclusion is always based on what I'm able (and willing) to find out about the product. I won't lie - sometimes this will just be an opinion, or based on faulty information. Feel free to share  if you think I'm misinformed.

No comments:

Post a Comment