Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Wardrobe Planning: Spring & Summer



i - ii - iii - iv - v - vi 

Now that it's officially 5 days into spring, I think it's about time to start planning my wardrobe for the new season. (I say, as if I haven't been daydreaming about it since the middle of January.) While I'm trying to refine my wardrobe down to capsule size, it's been helpful to, at the same time, refine what it is I think I like: colors, cuts, patterns,etc. I'd always assumed I already knew this, but am now learning to differentiate more between what I like to own and wear, versus what looks like a good idea in a store/fashion blog.

Beyond simple trial and error (soo much trial and error), this evening I did something very enlightening: I took a collection of my favorite outfits I've saved on Pinterest (shown above), then I listed all of the key items in each ensemble - including color, style and type - and put the list through Wordle for a graphic representation. Here's what I got:




Clearly, I am drawn to WHITE. No surprise to me! I also seem to like floral, navy black, and dresses. Funny how I already knew that, but it still makes me more cognoscente of it when it's written down.

With this list in mind, I plan to make white, navy and black (to a lesser degree) the  main colors for my basics, ie. what I spend the most money on. Browns tend to work better for me as accent colors, as do florals, which I suppose can be in any color, as I use them for "statement" pieces.

Neutrals + statements is my usual method of dressing. There's just something  about a utilitarian but expertly made piece that strikes me as the height of class, but I also have a very strong, but somewhat contradictory, love of ornate and very girly fashions - so mixing them together creates the perfect outfit for me.

That said, I'm always wary of investing in anything since my tastes tend to change rather quickly. Then again, I also wonder if that's really my taste changing, or my following trends and trying to force my style around them. Really, I can't recall a time in my adult life when I didn't gravitate toward any of the colors mentioned (except black. It's grown on me a lot lately, and now it's awfully difficult to deny it its "goes with anything" place in my closet). With that in mind, I guess I'll just roll with it for now - I don't see a quality basic in white or navy going fabulously out of style any time soon, no matter how I feel about it.

When it comes to accessorizing those basics, I have a little more leeway with changing things up, but I still seem to stick to a pattern. I think of blouses and accessories as statements almost exclusively, so I want to branch out a little and maybe try a statement bottom or jacket (I'm loving the floral jackets I'm seeing lately, but I'm afraid they might be over too soon to justify a purchase...?) And I definitely need to focus on statements, as right now my outfits are all vying for the truly coveted position of Mayor of Bland City.

No comments:

Post a Comment