Saturday, April 12, 2014

Hello & Goodbye: February / March 2014

i / ii / iii / iv


Like every blogger ever, I have the best intentions of updating regularly, but...Well, you know how it is. I have this whole life that is not the least bit concerned with how often I make new posts - totally selfish of it, I know, but part of it also happens to give me money, so I've learned to deal. Still, I was pretty surprised when it t was already the second week of April before I realized I had meant to consider my purchases/purges for the previous month ... of February. Looks like March will be included in that, too!

I can say already that taking the time to think about a piece of clothing or beauty product both before and after I buy it has taught me a lot about the thoughts behind my purchasing habits. I won't get into that too much now, as I'm sure that could be a very word count heavy post in itself, but I will say it's made quite a difference in the way I've been approaching shopping lately. I still enjoy it very much (and don't foresee myself ever not), but it's been a different kind of enjoyment that has almost as much to do with saying no to an item as saying yes.

Now, with that vague statement made, here's a look at what I purchased and disposed of in the last two months:

Hello: February 2014

Physician's Formula Mineral Wear Bronzer
Criteria: Fiscally Responsible
Conclusion: I wanted to try contouring because I wasn't liking the way my makeup was looking with just foundation, so I bought this. There was not a lot of thought involved. Like, less than zero, if you don't count my momentary concern whether I should buy the shiny version instead.  But it ended up working well, so, hey, that's one for, um...intuition?  What a nice euphemism for impulse shopping.
Price: ~$12

Eco-Tools Retractable Kabuki Brush
Criteria: Ethical, Fiscally Responsible, Long Lasting (At least, my experience with Eco-Tools has been good in this regard so far.)
Conclusion: I bought this along with the bronzer. It's improved the look of my makeup a lot, so it's hard for me to feel bad about this impulse purchase either, haha.
Price: ~ $8

31 Bits Happy Night Necklace in Peach
Criteria: Ethical, Fiscally Responsible
Conclusion: I really like this company. They have very pretty, modern jewelry which is made by women in Uganda for a fair wage, in what seems to be a very nice work environment. I actually exchanged the necklace I originally bought from them for another color, and they were very easy to work with. I'd be more than happy to buy from them again.
Price: $51.45 (w/shipping)

Hello: March 2014

Acne.org 8 oz. Treatment (2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide)
Criteria: Discussed here
Conclusion: I bought this because I wanted to save money, and Acne.org offers a lot of product at once for a reasonable price. Like, A LOT. Most benzoyl peroxide is offered in little tubes about 3" long, while this one came in something that looks like it could be a body lotion. And it works just as well, so that's one new purchase I can be glad I made. :)
Price: $21.50 (w/shipping)

Luva huva Sweet Juliet Chantilly Lace Panty
Criteria: Ethical, Fiscally Responsible
Conclusion: Weren't you looking forward to hearing about my underwear? Well, here's the scoop: I seriously need some. For the past few years I've purchased my undies from Aerie, because theirs were pretty and girly, and you could get 5 for $25. Looking for other options, you can imagine my displeasure when equally pretty and girly undies were not so low in price. I'd have to pay nearly twice the amount for one single pair from a more ethical seller than what I'd normally spend on five in a mall store. What's more, even though I need undies, I don't desperately need them, so it makes perfect sense to buy them more slowly. This is also not how I've usually shopped. I'm actually pretty gluttonous - I like LOTOFSTUFF, and I want it RIGHTNOW, and I want to keep as much money as possible so I can get MORESTUFF, preferably also RIGHTNOW. So, the thought of buying these did not make me a happy camper. But, I did it. I wanted to set a precedent for myself: if I can afford it, then it's alright to spend a relatively large amount of money and time on something that is generally considered inexpensive and readily available, if I think it's worth the effort. (I imagine my money going to the owner of Luva Huva would be more beneficial than adding more to Aerie/American Eagle's income, particularly since I'm not optimistic about AE's labor practices.)
As far as the actual underwear, I don't have any complaints. They're comfortable, they look nice, and they seem quite well made. I probably won't be buying from them again, as I've found another company whose style I like better, but if you like the look Luva Huva's then I would certainly suggest them.
Price: $43.95 (w/ shipping)

Faux-Denim Pencil Skirt 
Criteria: Ethical (Secondhand)
Conclusion: I haven't worn it yet, as I bought it with the intention of taking it in. Have I done that? Uh, maybe tomorrow! Along with the various other items I plan to alter...
Another question is how it fits into my wardrobe plans, which I admittedly made much more specific after purchasing this skirt.  (And will do a post on soon.) It would be versatile, but maybe superfluous, so it's possible it will be returned to the thrift store from whence it came.
Price: ~$4

V-Neck Navy Style T-shirt
Criteria: Ethical (Secondhand), Fiscally Responsible
Conclusion: I know many people feel a white tee is a staple, but for me it's a navy. It's the color I think looks best near my face, and since it's a neutral it goes with just about any bottom. This particular shirt is super comfy and flattering; it's also quite long on me, but I'm thinking that will give it more versatility, as I can wear it either tucked in or more like a tunic if I feel like going for that look.
Price: ~$3

Goodbye: February & March 2014

Witch Hazel:
I bought this as a toner. It's nice, and if you needed a toner I'd suggest it, but none have ever done much for me. I plan to use this up, but but I won't be buying another to sit around my sink, half empty and rejected, again.

Aveda Cerulean Blue Eyeshadow:
It killed me to throw this out because the color is lovely,  but I had not used it more than (possibly) three times since it was purchased nearly two years ago. I guess at this point it wasn't even hygenic any longer
On the other hand, I bought it to see if I would really use a beautiful Chanel palette that was maybe 3x the cost, so the fact that it told me, no, I definitely would not, was worth the $16 I spent on it.

Josie Maran Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation:
I got it around the same time as the eyeshadow, and while it's a lovely product, and worked well for me, I just preferred powder foundations. By the time I got rid of it, I'd ignored it so long it wasn't even usable anymore.

Mascara:
This is another "must have" that just isn't for me. I've never seen a difference when I put it on, and I'm more than happy to remove a step from my not exactly minimal makeup routine, so we shall part ways for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment