Sunday, June 1, 2014

Care: Washing Less Experiment

Laundry || Personal Photo

I've often heard that two of the best ways to make your clothing last longer are to air dry and wash less. Fair enough, as most substances will break down with either heat, water or friction ( the latter being part of what makes the washing machine so useful). And, easy enough to avoid the dryer - all you need is a drying rack, a little space, and some time.

But to not wash your clothes after every wear? I had done it in the past, but I was in a very lax environment, not to mention being a cheapo living in an apartment with no washer or dryer. Now I'm in a job where my appearance is quite visible, and have access to a washing machine whenever I need it. So after each wear, I just ran everything through the washer to make it presentable again. It was the simplest way to address my laundry, so of course I liked it. :)

Then I read this post about ways to reduce the impact of our clothing on This Kind Choice, and wondered if some of the reasons I had for washing more often didn't come from preemptively trying to fit in to my new environment by doing what I assumed others thought of as hygienic. We definitely have a huge focus on sanitation here in the U.S., and while that is awesome for a lot of things, it's overly cautious in others.

So, I figured I may as well experiment if I could get away with washing my work clothes a little less often without any repercussions (ie, someone telling me I smelled.) I didn't expect to be very successful, but I was surprised.

My clothes looked and smelled fine. There were some exceptions and I had to learn a few things along the way, but it was a very easy process, and everything turned out well. I never got told I stank, in other words.




What I did: 

- After getting home from work, hung everything on a drying rack to air it out either overnight or for a couple days, depending on how lazy I felt.

- Before wearing anything a second time inspected it for any stains, then remove those with a damp cloth if possible. If not, I tossed the item into the hamper to go in the washing machine.

- Ironed between washings to remove wrinkles.

- Washed underwear after each wear, because, really.


What I discovered:

- Polyester retains odors. I have to wash items made from it after each wear because of this.

- Natural fibers don't retain odor as much. Not that they never get smelly, but if I air out a cotton t-shirt or wool sweater, by the next day any unpleasant odor is usually gone.

- Not to assume my clothes were clean until they were in full light. Leaving the house in your awesome clean pants only to realize  they're actually covered in dog fur you're going to have to run back inside and lint-brush away doesn't exactly help you get to work on time.

- Most items do lose their shape if they're worn a couple times before washing. This didn't affect their appearance too significantly, but if something was already a little loose on me, I wouldn't like how baggy it became after one or two wears.

- I save a lot of water. Good, because water scarcity is a concern of mine, and I'd like for this vital source of life to remain abundant for as long as possible!

My conclusions:

- I'll probably avoid buying polyester garments in the future. I'd rather have something that released odors better.

- If I know it's something I'll be wearing between washings, I'll probably go with a tighter fit. I don't care for the oversized look on myself.

- I won't buy as much white, either. It stains easily, so I ended up having to wash with every wear to look nice.

So, as I guess is obvious, I'll be sticking with my laundry routine now. Probably the most unexpected result of this experiment was that it has made me more appreciative of my clothing, because I'm considering them as important enough to put effort into extending their lifespan. That, and having a limited wardrobe of items I wear often has totally changed how I view the clothes I own - now I appreciate the use I get out of them rather than wishing I could replace them with something new and better all the time. I can recognize I have a lot of nice things which work very well, and I'm much more content with them.

6 comments:

  1. A point I find particularly interesting, is how you say you have a huge focus on hygiene in the US and how it influenced your clothes washing habits. I think a lot of our values, references and habits are linked to social norms and rules.

    Which is good, society structures us and helps us live together in a civilized way. But marketing uses this tendency a lot by trying to impose new norms and rules to make us consume more. For example, I don't know about US ads but in France, in toothpaste ads, people put a copious amount of product on their toothbrush. I remember the dentist telling me to put only about 1/3 of what they put in the ads, it works just as well and the toothpaste lasts 3 times longer.

    I'm getting off topic here but I think the idea we have of how we "should" behave as proper adults is heavily influenced by brands and products today, and your washing less experiment is an excellent example of that - after all, it is not the end of the world to wash less some of the items, it it environment friendly and it doesn't make us look like hobos...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard before that our obsession with cleanliness comes from marketing. The cleaner we have to be, the more product we have to use, thus the more money the producer gets, as in the case of the toothpaste you mentioned. Our advertisements for it are just the same. :)

      I do feel like we have a culture very driven by advertising here, which in turn informs our social norms (like hygiene) so that they often benefit the individual less than the companies selling them. I'm hardly immune to that - in fact, I'm very self-conscious - so it's interesting for me to see what happens when I break a rule like this. Usually it goes unnoticed, and I realize, like you said, that I'm doing something to be a "proper adult", because it's the norm, and the norms are usually pretty functional.

      Delete
  2. Great to hear about your washing less experiment! I too notice polyester smells so much faster than natural fibres do and I avoid buying polyester tops especially because of that. Clothes bagging out after a few wears happens to me too with some things and I hate it, I've made a mental note of buying a slightly more fitted size in the future too.

    I get cold extremely quickly and my step mother works in an outdoor clothing store (it sells stuff for hiking etc) and she got me a merino top and a polyester one, saying that I should layer merino and synthetics for maximum warmth. Only merino (which is what I've done until now) would apparently be too breathable and regulate temperature rather than trap the heat. I took a lot of persuading to get that polyester top and I haven't had it long enough to see whether I like it yet, but maybe there are situations where synthetics are useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Emma. :) I think it's interesting we came to similar conclusions. I also find it kind of funny I'd be willing to make changes in my buying habits based on this experiment, like going for a tighter fit or avoiding polyester. I didn't imagine washing a garment had much more of an effect on it than making it clean again.

      That seems like sound advice about combining the polyester and merino top. But it makes me curious, because I've always heard that synthetics are better for workout clothes, and I'd think something that breathed better would be more comfortable?

      Delete
  3. I wash as little as is practical, -but- my tops definitely need washing after every wear, simply airing them out doesn't work, no matter what the fabric... so in the evening I quickly handwash in the sink the bits that get sweaty (underarms), then let the top air-dry. This helps with extending the life of sweaters especially.
    And I wanted to say that I really like your blog! I'm pretty bad at commenting, but I'm always glad to see a new post from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you! :) I'm glad you commented, I really liked getting to look at the photos on your blog.

      That's good advice about washing certain areas on the tops. I might try that with some of my polyester ones that don't want to air out, and see if I can extend my wears of them that way. I should do something similar for my sweaters as well - I'm kind of surprised they're still around after how I treated them last winter!

      Delete