Sunday, June 15, 2014

Hello & Goodbye: May 2014


I'm not reviewing my purchases from April yet, because there's something else I'd like to discuss along with them. I also didn't discard anything in May, so I only have Hello!s this time, but with many Goodbye!s to premier in June, ha.  :)

Wardrobe

Frye Ali Toggle Thong Sandals via 6pm.com
As I mentioned, it is extremely difficult to find shoes which fall into all categories of eco-friendly, animal friendly, high quality and attractive. So, I gave up. I was the least willing to forfeit attractive, considering no matter how nicely made, I knew I wouldn't actually wear ugly shoes. I am far too vain for that. So, I exempted eco and animal friendly in exchange for attractive and high quality. What this says about me I can just imagine, but I can't deny these shoes have gotten virtually constant wear since I bought them - they're comfortable, hold up well, and, I think, quite beautiful. While I wish they were made from different materials and possibly under different conditions, I wasn't sure what other choice to make that was affordable to me and would be actually useful. (Incidentally, Frye does produce some of its shoes in the US, just not the ones I purchased.)
Criteria: Fiscally responsible (used often), Long Lasting (retained appeal so far)
Price: $80.05 w/ tax & shipping

New York & Company Top
So, prior to buying the sandals above via the internet, I spent a day looking for some in brick and mortar stores. After going through various second hand options, on to a conventional warehouse store, then in desperation to the mall, where I still didn't find any shoes, but fell in love-at-first-sight with a top from New York & Company. I don't know anything about this store's ethics or production methods, but there's nothing to make me think they're particularly enlightened. The top I bought is going to fulfill my "variety" category, which I was just about as frustrated trying to find something for as I was with the sandals. I probably wouldn't have been so impulsive with either, except that I actually was in need of them - my feet were melting in my closed toe shoes, and I didn't actually own enough tops to get through the week. So, I'm definitely not /un/happy with either this purchase or that of the sandals (on the contrary, both are used often and essentially scream "Caer"), but hopefully in the future I will be more prepared so that when I need something, I will be able to be more patient when it comes to finding an item that is better suited to my criteria.
Criteria: Uncertain as of now
Price: $21.17 (50% off sale $39.95) w/ tax

Plato's Closet Scarf and Belt
I have a habit of being a boring dresser, because I'm really drawn to "basics", especially with colors. I tried branching out a little with these purchases, buying a bright pink coral belt, and a pink and grey snakeskin print scarf. (Now I realize even my branching out is monochrome!) The belt was pretty, but looked garish against my other clothes when I tried to pair it with them, so I haven't worn it but once. The scarf is much nicer, but I'm still a little uncertain about how much I like it. It's useful for right now, at least.
Criteria: Ethical (second hand, Plato's Closet is a store for used trendy clothing)
Price: $13.78 w/ tax for both

Spanx Higher Power New Slimproved Women's Underwear via Zappos
Again, a product from a conventional brand. I bought it so I wouldn't feel so dang naked every time I wore a dress. I had this sudden, weird realization there's nothing underneath them except my unmentionables, and it made me really self conscious! So, I was going to buy some little shorts to cover up with, but then I thought, why not take the extra help? and ended up with this monstrosity/21st century girdle. It works for what I wanted, so I'm happy with it as well.
Criteria: Fiscally responsible (I wear it 2-3 times per week.)
Price: $40.57 w/ tax & shipping

On the Inside Star Jasmine Black Lace Thong Panty
I bought from this seller because they're somewhat local (within my state), use organic cotton in their undies, and will sew a custom pair for an fairly inexpensive price. Also, their undies are pretty, which is not exactly a minor factor when I buy lingerie. :) I haven't worn them much yet, but they seem to be pretty high quality. The lace they're made of is nice and thick, and they're very comfortable, particularly for a thong. I'd be happy to buy more from On the Inside, so I guess this is another successful purchase!
Criteria: Ethical (small producer, made with organic cotton)
Price: $31.32 w/ tax & shipping

Makeup, Skincare & Hair

Haircut
I finally got around to trying a hair salon near my house, and I'm glad I did, since I got a great cut there. It was inexpensive, as well, because I live in the middle of nowhere, which does have its benefits when it comes to price. Not much more to say than that, except hopefully having something local will help me get my hair cut more regularly, rather than every six months when I find my resemblance to Chewbacca becoming only too eerie. :)
Criteria: Fiscally responsible (cheap, I still like it), ethical (supporting a small business)
Price: $24 w/ tip

Paula's Choice C15 Super Booster
I used to have pretty severe acne, and while I've recently found ways to clear it up quite a bit, my past blemishes have left me with some rather unwanted "souvenirs" in the form of scars and discoloration marks. Lately, I had also been hearing a lot of good things about Paula's Choice cosmetics, so, having to replace some of my makeup, I chose to go with that company, and contacted their (excellent) customer service about which of their products would help reduce my discolorations (by which I mean totally clear them up and give me perfect skin, but tomato tomahto). Of the products they suggested, the Vitamin C serum seemed to have the best reviews. So, I bought the trial size. And it was amazing. It worked immediately. It made my skin glow. It reduced the dark circles under my eyes. I didn't use it long enough to really see if it reduced my scars, but I've felt better about my skin since I did. Unfortunately, I think it made me break out a bit, but I almost didn't care because besides the tiny pimples I got  from it, my face looked amazing.
I think I used it for like a week, it was crazy. Now I've run out, and I'll more than likely buy it in the future to try it out a longer on my scars, but it's not a priority, as I've found something else to use for now...
Criteria: Ethical (PC does not test on animals)
Price: $7.65

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant
I ordered this as a sample, because, well, PC offered it for free, and who am I to deny their generosity? BHA also apparently helps with blackheads, which is another lovely way my face is "accessorized". I swear I am not being paid by Paula's Choice, but - as soon as I put this on, I didn't even care if it worked. I have never applied a product that felt so good just being on my skin. I sound like a crazy person, right? And even more than that, just like Vitamin C serum, it worked fast. Again, I only used a trial size, so it didn't eliminate my blackheads, nor do I know if it will, but it sure improved my overall skin. I've chosen to repurchase this instead of the serum, as they give similar results, but the BHA doesn't irritate my skin, and is a more general product. And I want to slather it all over my face for the rest of my life, because I am serious, it feels so. awesome.
Criteria: Ethical (PC does not test on animals)
Price: Free sample

Paula's Choice Soft Cream Concealer
Concealer is one of those staples I always go back and forth with. I'll buy it, then not use it for a couple months, throw it out, then miss it and buy another. Part of that is because, for whatever reason, no matter the technique I try, I can't get it to effectively cover blemishes. Instead, I use it primarily for the dark circles under my eyes, and veins showing through the apparently Casper-white skin under my eyebrows. This is a nice product:  it works, it applies smoothly, and it feels non-existent once it's on. I can see myself going for it again, once I discard only to inevitably decide I need another. :)
Criteria: Fiscally responsible (used daily, would repurchase), ethical (PC does not test on animals)
Price: $8.50

Paula's Choice Best Face Forward SPF 25
I thought I was over liquid foundation, but this changed my mind. It goes on great, feels really lightweight, and essentially blends into my skin so I look like I'm airbrushed. Not that it completely covers my flaws, but reduces them really well without me looking like I'm wearing pounds of makeup. It doesn't provide a ton of coverage, but seems to give enough when I use a shade that's one darker than I'd normally wear. So, I'm happy with this as well, and plan to make it my staple foundation. Clearly, Paula's Choice can look forward to plenty of my money. 
Criteria: Fiscally responsible (used daily, would repurchase), ethical (PC does not test on animals)
Price: $13.60 x2 (I bought two shades, and ended up keeping both)

Paula's Choice Extra Care Non-Greasy Sunscreen SPF 50
Here I go again, but, wow, this is some great sunscreen! I only use it on my face/neck area, and it goes on and sinks in so easily. It doesn't feel greasy, either, as advertised, though it does leave my face a little shiny, but that usually disappears when I've applied my foundation and setting powder. I was also concerned about it causing a breakout, but so far, so good. Overall, I'm very satisfied, and, yes, I plan to repurchase this, too.
Criteria: Fiscally responsible (used daily, would repurchase), ethical (PC does not test on animals)
Price: $13.60 (+8.99 total for PC shipping. Everything was 20% off regular price.)

Paula's Choice Liquid Lipstick Collection
Now, to be contrary: This was another free gift with my purchases. I can see why it was free. Hopefully they're being given away because Paula's Choice is changing their formula or something, because this one is not a keeper.The texture is gross, it hardly gives any color to the lips, and that it does just disappears within a few minutes.  I honestly tossed all of them within a week or two, they were pretty much useless.
Criteria: Bleh! Okay, I guess it's ethical, too. 
Price: Free sample

Grand Total:  $276.08 for 13 items. 

Notes: I purchased a lot more than I thought! Aside from that, though, May was a very successful month for finding things I like and want to keep. Quite a bit of it was from what I'd consider conventional brands, which is not who I intended to buy from. I was a little upset about this at first, but I get the impression I'm not the only one who's had to make such concessions when it comes to ethical shopping. Not everything is out there exactly as I want it - how inconsiderate - so I suppose I'll just have to pick the least evil option. Right now I think of that as the item I am most likely to get use from the longest; my goal is to reduce and be happier with my consumption, which I don't think will be helped by buying and discarding a bunch of aesthetically displeasing objects because I like the way they were produced. Or maybe I'm attempting to justify my purchases?

If anyone has any thoughts or experiences with this subject, I'd love to hear them. And not just because I want to increase my comment count, I promise. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment